MORNINGSTAR PROSTAR 15 AMP CHARGE CONTROLLER WITH METER 12V/24V offers superior series switching provides many advantages compared to shunt controllers. Series regulation reduces FET heating and lowers voltage stress on the power FET’s. A series configuration also improves protection against lightning surges and reduces switching noise. The series design improves charging accuracy. In PWM, series switching becomes self-correcting for temperature and system voltage drops. May be paralled up to 300 amps.
Morningstar’s ProStar is the world’s leading mid-range solar controller for both professional and consumer applications. This second generation ProStar (PS-15) provides the following:
- Adds new features and protections using highly advanced technology
- Provides longer battery life and improved system performance
- Sets new standards for reliability and self-diagnostics
- Versions available: 15 or 30 amp 12 / 24 or 48 volt negative or positive ground
- Estimated 15 year life
- PWM series battery charging (not shunt)
- 3-position battery select: gel, sealed or flooded
- Very accurate control and measurement
- Jumper to eliminate telecom noise
- Parallel for up to 300 amps
- Temperature compensation
- Tropicalization: conformal coating, stainless steel fasteners & anodized aluminum heat sink
- No switching or measurement in the grounded leg
- 100% solid state
- Very low voltage drops
- Current compensated low voltage disconnect (LVD)
- LEDs indicate system status and various faults
- Capable of 25% overloads
- Remote battery voltage sense terminals
|Rated Solar Current||15 Amps||30 Amps||15 Amps|
|Rated Load Current||15A||30A||15A|
|Temp. Comp. (mV/°C)*||– 30mV||– 60mV||– 120mV|
|Min. voltage to operate||8V||8V||15V|
|LVD current coefficient**||– 20mV||– 40mV||– 80mV|
|Charge algorithm||PWM, constant voltage|
|Operating temperature||– 40°C to + 60°C|
- Short-circuit — solar and load
- Overload — solar and load
- Reverse polarity
- Reverse current at night
- High voltage disconnect
- High temperature disconnect
- Lightning and transient surge protection
- Loads protected from voltage spikes
- Automatic recovery with all protections
- Night Disconnect: The solar array automatically disconnects at night to prevent reverse current leakage from the battery.
- Battery Sense: Good battery performance requires accurate charging. Voltage drops in the battery power cables can distort the battery charging. The Sense wires eliminate the voltage drops for optimized charging.
- Temperature Compensation: Four control setpoints (25°C reference) are compensated for temperature (PWM regulation, float, equalization, high voltage disconnect). The charging is compensated by –5 mV/°C /cell (–30mV/°C for a 12V battery). Compensation is limited to minus 30°C.
- Remote Temperature Probe: An optional probe is available to measure temperature at a location away from the controller. This requires soldering 2 wires to the ProStar PCB.
- Digital meterA precision 3-digit digital meter will continuously display battery voltage, solar current, and the load current. The meter automatically scrolls through these 3 displays. The 3 red LEDs will indicate which parameter is being displayed.
The digital meter will operate from –30°C to +85°C. The values displayed are calibrated electronically in production and are accurate to within a few percent. Please note, however, that if the Battery Sense is not connected, the voltage displayed will be in error by the voltage drops in the battery wires.
- Highly accurate voltage and current display
- Low self-consumption (1 mA)
- Includes manual disconnect button
- Displays 5 different protection functions and disconnect conditions
- Self-diagnostics (self-test) provides a comprehensive test of the ProStar —
- Displays 9 different controller status parameters, including temperature
- Displays detected faults
- Positive ground
- Remote temperature probeAn optional remote temperature probe can be soldered to the ProStar assembly at any time. The standard cable length is 25 ft (7.6 m), and this can easily be extended to 100 ft (30 m) or longer. The 2 probe wires are soldered to the main board assembly between the temperature sensor and the green LED, at “J12”.
Optimized Battery Charging
The ProStar has 4 stages of charging to provide increased battery capacity and life. See the diagram below: